Monday, December 15, 2008

Why isn't theft illegal?

There is a lot of technology around these days. There are Cell Phones, MP3 Players, Game consoles, Car Radios, Computers, ect. All these electronic devices can be linked to one thing the Internet. Why aren't they building the internet up to be the easiest and best way to catch a thief?

Here are some scenarios:

Your Xbox gets stolen. Chances are somwhere in it's life the Xbox will reconnect to the internet, and will connect with Xbox Live. Why if a theft claim is made to the police will Microsoft not give out the IP address of the Xbox?

Your MP3 player gets stolen. Your MP3 player has to connect to a computer before you can update it's songs. Chances are this computer is connected to the internet. Why isn't the serial number transfered to the proper dept with the IP address if a theft complain it made.

Your Cell phone gets stolen. They have GPS built into most phones, and they all have serial numbers and some even accept simm cards which should make tracking cell phones even simpler. Why can't the cell phone companies report the location of a stolen cell phone to the authorities?

Your Car Radio gets stolen. Car Radios these days connect via USB/bluetooth to MP3 players. Why can't these MP3 players gets store the radios information which then gets synced to your computer and gets reported in a database.

That last one would be hard to do but it should be something that is posssible in the future. Let's stop theft dead in it's tracks. I usually at least 1 electronic device a year. The moment I tell the police they take my statement and say there is nothing they can do. Petty theft isn't a priority. Who will make it a priority? No one. Not even those who cell it. I'm going to do a test to see what happens.

When my cellphone contract is almost up I am going to report my cell phone stolen to the police and to my cell phone courier. I am then going to drop the phone into the cell phone recycling program that my cell provider hosts and wait. I am going to wait to see if it gets returned to me. My expectations are that it won't be returned. The cellphone will be lost. I will do my best to document everything.

What do you think about my plan?

No comments: