Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My worst quality strikes again

At 8:30 I was supposed to be at the Seven Oaks physiotherapy offices getting my back checked out. I was there like I was supposed to be, however the physician was not. The physician didn’t get there until 8:52. 22 minutes. Let’s talk about that 22 minutes.

22 minutes is a long time. A lot can go through someone’s mind in 22 minutes. Especially when there MP3 player died just a few minutes before the meeting. Let me try to explain my thoughts during those 22 minutes.

I arrived at the meeting at 8:23. I waiting and waiting. With no music and nothing to read I was starting to get really bored. I started to count the number of tiles on the roof, then the number of chairs in the room. Finally the secretary came to get me and put me in the doctor’s office. I took a look at my watch and it was 8:27. 4 minutes had passed although it felt like an eternity. I can’t complain because it’s still a bit early.

In those room I waited, and waited and waited. For what felt like 30 minutes I took a look at my watch and found out only 15 minutes passed. At this point I was telling myself that if the doctor isn’t there by 9:00 then I am taking off. This got me to thinking. Why am I waiting for this doctor in the first place? There are a lot of physiotherapists in the city who would love to have me. I seem to have to see a physiotherapist on a yearly basis. Each year I probably go about half a dozen times. I should be a physiotherapist’s wet dream. But instead I am waiting.
Now I am starting to tense up. It started to occur to me what a horrible first impression this doctor was making. If he makes me wait 30 minutes this time and he is trying to make a good first impression then does that mean his second time he can be 45 minutes, then an hour. This was the first seed of doubt that was planted in my head while I wait.

Then time passes on and I start to think about how much this is going to cost me. The initial charge for this great service is around $60.00. That could be a lot of money to the average individual. At minimum wage that is a full days wage and yet I find myself waiting. It occurred to me for a brief second that the longer the better because then I am really getting my money’s worth. But then that second past and I fell back into my negative thoughts.

The final draw happened at 8:50. I realized that I was waiting in line. Even though it was an invisible line there was still a line. I hate waiting in lines. It’s my worst quality. Every time I wait in a line I over think the situation. I question the need for the product at the end of the line. Usually I talk myself out of whatever prize or product awaits me at the end.

At 8:52 I got my jacket on and proceeded to work out. As I was walking out I bumped into the doctor just as he was walking in. I shook the man’s hand and simply said I had to go. I walked out the doctor’s front door and decided to visit the bakery across the street. There was no line at the bakery so I ended up buying what they were selling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is awesome dude! not the wait, but how you handled the situation!