Thursday, July 17, 2008

Folkfest 2008 Wednesday (Day 2)

Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap. I wake up from my sleep and look at the driver side window. The car in spot 2 is knocking on the window to get my attention. He yells out get ready they are opening the gate. I look around for Darby and can’t find him.

Panic sets in. He isn’t in the van. I race out of the van and start yelling at the top of my lungs “Darby”. I look down the line and see him 15 cars down as he hears my voice and turns around. It took him a moment to say goodbye to the people he was talking too and then starts racing down the line. He made it to the van and it wasn’t long before they opened the gates to let us through.

We parked in the overflow area and waiting to be let into the park. My and Darby were both in and out of consciousness for not getting much sleep the night before. It was about 10:30 when we got let into the campground area. My and Darby got right to unpacking. I was too scout out last year’s area and grab it for us.

Even though we were first in line in the morning the Ninja’s had already moved in and taken all the shaded tree areas. The area we wanted to camp in was still open though. I threw down a tarp to mark our spot and raced back to Darby to give him the good news.

The next several hours included putting up our tents and structures. Most of it was a blur. I think after I had put everything up I might have gotten some sleep. I did get to meet our Lesbian neighbors from last year. We didn’t spend a lot of time talking last year but as it turns out we have a lot more in common they I would have ever guessed. We had a mutual friend linking us together from the past. It was good having good friends as neighbors.

A little later on my sister arrived with her friend. We put up the tent and I went for my first volunteer shift of the festival. By the time it ended I went to my tent and crashed hard.

Not a very exciting day 2 but I didn’t plan on it being that exciting. Since I had to volunteer that night I didn’t want to burn myself out.

Stay tuned for Day 3. It holds a lot more excitement.

No comments: