Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Folkfest 2008 Tuesday (Day 1)

Darby calls me up at 4:00 PM to let me know we should be preparing to leave in 1 hour. I was biking through the downtown area at the time. I didn’t expect to get the call so early in the day but I didn’t want to hold us back. So I raced home, took a quick bath, packed up and awaited Darby’s arrival.

We left my place at an undisclosed time. We went to McDonald’s where I dropped a bag of ice on my big toe causing it to split in half and caused it to bleed in the nail. I know it sounds discussing but it didn’t get me down. We were on our way to Folkfest.

There are a lot of reasons we could have been considered number 1 at folkfest. We could have been considered the best looking guys at Folkfest. We could have been considered the best dressed for folkfest. But no, we were No. 1 in line at Folkfest. We arrived 90 minutes before No. 2. We were the champs. It was totally awesome.

Things were kind of slow for a while until about 15 cars arrived. Car 8 had setup a massive table where we all played cards. We played Asshole if I remember correctly. We did this for a few hours where we ended up all separating from each other.

This is about the time we through down a massive towel and just sat on the side of the road. The first 2 people to come see us had to be the coolest 2 people of the night, a brother sister combo that played the guitar. It was neat because they played so well together. One played Guitar while the other played a brassier guitar. But then were in perfect sync. They were the first people we really partied with. Broke open our drinks and had a great time with.

Then this guy came around who was doing some sort of university paper on festival. Basically He had the chance to ride around the country to see festivals and write about them. What an amazing job. Before the night was up they would have interviewed Darby but I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

While we were sitting on the blanket we got to speak to a lot of people. Everyone had the same question in mind “When did you guys arrive?”. Initially we told the first few people but then me and Darby devised a great plan. We would tell people to get the time from us we would have to get an interesting fact from them. We heard some pretty crazy facts. The craziest face was as follows: The average person will spend $3000.00 in hair products over a ten year period. Isn’t that a bizarro fact.

As time went on we had to change our ploy. As the night went on people no longer could give us interesting facts so we had to ask people to do anything that they could to entertain us. My favorite was the guy who sang the song that he created based on the previous year at Folkfest. It was a strange song. I just wish I could remember what it was about.

It wasn’t too much later that I started to get tired. I got about 90 minutes of sleep in van. During that time I did peek outside a little bit to see there was some activity still going on. I saw Darby get interviewed by that university dude. I also saw the brother/sister duo still playing there instruments.

This is where I would say the night ended for me and I fell asleep. Stay in touch to read about day 2.

No comments: