Sunday, April 22, 2007

A convesation I had

Anonymous Person: Hey Ilan, should I buy a card with the gift for ...
Me: Yes.
Anonymous Person: But I don't want to buy a card.
Me: You're probably right, you shouldn't buy a gift card.
Anonymous Person: I don't think I will buy a card then.

Was this one of those rhetorical questions I keep hearing about? I've actually been thinking about giving this very instance a word for the dictionary.

Word Definition: When someone asks you a questions and already knows the answer. You are either wrong if you disagree with that person or you are right if you agree with them.
It's not a rhetorical question because this question does not have an obvious solution.

I just need to give this instance a word. Anyone have any suggestions for a new word that will fit this definition?

2 comments:

Selah said...

My husband gets frustrated with me on this all the time. I imagine a lot of men can sympathize with him. When I am debating between two dresses and ask him what he thinks only to go with the opposite, he throws his hands in the air and says, "Why do you even bother asking me?" Why? Why you ask? Well it's obvious isn't it? Because I want to know what his thoughts are. I then use his input as part of the evaluation process. PART being the key word there. His thoughts alone are not the only deciding factor. Thousands of details need to be taken into consideration. Sometimes he will have phenomenal input that will sway my decision one way or another, but most of the time I usual go with what my gut is telling me.

And yeah... I would pass on the card.

Anonymous said...

I guess the idea is to ask for external input once all internal decisions are made. Else, you could give the impression that the sole reason for asking is based on a belief that the other person has bad taste, and you want to know what NOT to wear. :)

Reality is nice and all, but perception... ah, the forgotten child of reality. It must be taken into account! :)