Friday, May 23, 2008

I am the most selfish person in the world

My friends and I go out on a weekly basis. We usually pick something athletic to do. Sometimes we play pool, other times we go golfing, and on the rare occasion we go bowling. When I play them I lose about 95% of the time. I don’t lose because I’m a bad player but because I am selfish. Don’t understand, well let me explain.

Let me pick a game like pool. I am a really good pool player. It’s not often I find a really good challenge when it comes to pool. But I have learnt that no one likes to play someone who always wins, especially my friends. When I would win with my friends consistently all of a sudden they would stop calling me, sometimes for several weeks at a time.

I don’t care whether I win or lose. I don’t have a competitive bone in my body. When I play a sport I play to have fun and not to win. Same goes for every sport that I play. If you thought that was crazy wait until you hear what I am about to say.

When I win, I feel bad for the loser because the loser becomes sad. But when I lose then the winner is happy, for some reason that makes me happy. I don’t know how else to put it. I may very well be the least competitive person on the planet. The moment something stops being fun I stop playing.

Is that not the most selfish thing you have ever heard?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we are both selfish. Your description is something that I can relate to. It's more fun at times to see people winning than losing. But at times, there are people that need to lose.
As long as you enjoy your life and are not hurting anyone, what does it matter.